Foreign and Defense Policy
Sonecon helps public and private executives achieve their foreign, defense and homeland security policy objectives. This strategic analysis includes issues involving the U.S. government as well as foreign governments.
- Sonecon Managing Director Paul Stockton co-chaired the 2013 Defense Department Independent Review of the Washington Navy Yard Shooting. In the course of that analysis, he examined the growing “insider threats” that confront the Department of Defense and its contractor workforce. His report proposed recommendations to remedy gaps in facility and personnel security that the Pentagon is now implementing.
- Sonecon helped a “Federally Funded Research and Development Center” analyze the lessons to be learned from the Fukashima radiological disaster, and developed policy options for industry and governments in the Asia-Pacific region to reduce such catastrophic risks.
- Sonecon helped a U.S. pharmaceutical company develop the policy case for support from the U.S. government in a program to provide access to its product in the Middle East.
- Sonecon has assisted Canadian Government departments and the Canadian House of Parliament in examining emerging security challenges in North America, including cyber threats and policy options for strengthening their collaborations with the United States and the private sector.
- Sonecon has provided a trade association and other non-profits with analysis on the resilience of the U.S. electric power grid and other critical infrastructure and industrial networks against cyber-attack, including recommendations on how the private sector and government can partner to respond to a successful, large-scale cyber-attack.
- Sonecon has analyzed the threats posed by “zero-day exploits” and other sophisticated cyber weapons to U.S. and foreign infrastructure and networks, and proposed U.S. and international policies to address that threat, including the use of the Safety Act to incentivize software companies to produce more secure products.
- Sonecon has helped the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) develop and conduct training and education programs for disaster preparedness and assisted state emergency management leaders in structuring regional exercises for catastrophic events.
Continue to ...